Thursday, January 11, 2018

Dita Kraus--Intrepid Woman


Cindy Nord, a Facebook friend, shared information about an Intrepid Woman I had never “met.” Dita Kraus was the children’s librarian at Auschwitz. Just that identifier signals that she was intrepid to have survived the horror of a Nazi death camp.

Her story is one I had never heard. In fact, I have only vague recall of a fake camp the Nazis ran to influence world opinion. In fact, I believe my most recent (still years ago) knowledge came from the movie, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.

I read about the fictionalized biography, The Librarian of Auschwitz (Antonio Iturbe), and bought it for my librarian son. I thought he’d appreciate it. I’m sure he’ll pass it back to me when he finishes the book. Right?

Little information is available to me in my first research foray. I can see that locating resources in English is going to be challenging for me. But, the destination is worth the journey.

In Auschwitz-Birkenau, Block 31, the Nazis created a special camp for families and the children’s section was overseen by Fredy Hirsch, who despite his best efforts to protect them, couldn’t save almost 3800 from execution.

In this special camp, Dita Poláchová, who was the secret children’s librarian there, hid books from the Nazis so children could have literature, an important part of maintaining their humanity, she believed.

“If human beings aren’t deeply moved by beauty, if they don’t close their eyes and activate their imaginations, if they are capable of asking themselves questions and discerning the limits of their ignorance,” Iturbe writes, “then they are men or women, but they are not complete persons: Nothing significant distinguishes them from a salmon or a zebra or a musk ox.”

In 1942, when she was thirteen, Dita and her family had to move into a Jewish ghetto from their home in Prague. They stayed there until December, 1943, when they were shipped to Auschwitz-Birkenau, along with Fredy Hirsch, a Zionist, and others.

Hirsch told the counselors to make sure the children were clean and educated in order to retain some semblance of normality and to ensure they could have a better life when they were released. Dita was put in charge of the small numbers of books they had, keeping them hidden while still encouraging children to read and enjoy them. Keep in mind, she was a young teen when given this responsibility. How brave she must have been.

Word came that there was to be a mass execution and resistance leaders wanted Hirsch to help organize and uprising. His death from an overdose of Luminal was suspicious. Suicide? Many thought not, but we’ll never know.

Somehow, Dita and her mother escaped the mass execution on March 8, 1944 and instead were transported to Bergen-Belsen, the camp made famous by Anne Frank. Dita’s mother died there, but Dita was liberated in April, 1945.

By the end of the war, she had lost parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and friends. All alone now, her family all dead, Dita had to navigate the post-war years on her own. She returned to Prague and later married Otto Kraus, a man she knew from Block 31. They emigrated to Israel and reared their three children there. They taught English, interestingly.

Dita’s formal schooling stopped in fifth grade because the Nazi’s came to power when she was only ten. She felt the gaps in her education her whole life but she loved books and reading and learned what she could from them. She still lives in Israel.

Please share this post with others. I thank you!

Facebook: Cindy Nord first shared Dita Kraus, secret children’s librarian at Auschwitz, with me. I want her to be one of my Intrepid Women for the middle grades bio series. Here’s my blog post about her. http://bit.ly/2CIYlat

Twitter: #Holocaust survivor Dita Kraus was the secret children’s librarian at #Auschwitz. She will be one of @Caroline_Adams9’s Intrepid Women in bio series for middle graders. http://bit.ly/2CIYlat

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Novel Writing Month Options

When   considering the many paths I could follow--since I write in many genres—for National Novel Writing Month, I thought about pickin...