Thursday, January 18, 2018

10 Tips for How to Write Biographies


Now this was interesting to learn about!

Last summer I wrote the first draft of a biography for middle grade readers. I was passionate about my Intrepid Woman, filled with enthusiasm for the project, eager to share the bits I knew, and then, BOOM!

My writing group, bless their honest and insightful hearts, told me, essentially, “Umm. That’s not it. Try again.”

Well, okay, then. I get it. I challenged myself with two new-to-me writing tasks. Writing biography (when I been noveling for many years) and writing for middle graders (when I have written for adults for many years). To use the vernacular, I guess I sucked!

I am grateful to them for helping me identify what my heart knew wasn’t working. So what’s a passionate, enthusiastic, eager wannabe biographer to do? What I always do. I hunt for resources to help me. I can learn anything. I know that about myself. I taught me to write plays, and I can teach me to write biography.

So I made a couple of trips to America’s Book Store (aka Amazon) using different descriptors to find book on how to write biographies. I found two. There were beaucoup books on writing memoir, but only three for how to write bios and two about writing bios.

One of the how-to books, 24 pages, had one review and it was one-star. Another book is 166 pages from the University of Nebraska press with no reviews and almost 15 years old. Also, at $45, I’d be paying almost 30¢ a page to read it. The last book is a 400 page reprint edition from the Harvard University Press, but it does have four and a half stars.

Does it surprise you, too, given the popularity of biographies, that there are so few resources on how to write them?

Two! So what’s a wannabe biographer to do? Of course, I ordered the 400-page How to Do Biography, a Primer by Nigel Hamilton, and then I went searching for classes and other online resources.

My initial search was more than disappointing. There were few resources out there. Some YouTube vids and a few articles, but not what I expected. There is a dearth of resources on how to write biographies. There are tons on other forms, like writing comedy or horror, but surprisingly few for bios.

From combing the Internet, I did identify some common principles, some of which are “duhs” like “do research.” Umm. Okay. I guess that’s a good idea.

Biographies are about people who stories reveal struggles, conflicts, and accomplishments. The biography elements that I came up with and others I found in my search on biography writing are these:

1)   Identify in a page or two, why this person caught your attention and what is important about the person’s life. From this identify the overarching theme you will use in your biography.
2)   Write an engaging opening with quotes or anecdote to hook the reader just as fiction does. Like stories, bios have a beginning, middle, and end.
3)   Make a timeline of everything you can from the person’s life and then circle the ones you will use. But put them all out there for consideration. All bios give demographic info (birth, death, locale).
4)   Create a biography outline by taking the circled events from #3 and make headers and detailed notes on each.
5)   Get creative with your research by contacting authors of books or articles you read to see if they will share some of their resources so you are not just reading their summaries.
6)   Identify the point of view and text structure you will use: chronological, cause-effect, description, comparison, or problem-solution.
7)   Develop an understanding of the era and location of the person through the biography.
8)   Create a tone appropriate to the material. Find a voice that will engage readers.
9)   Keep incidents, dialogue, and historical personages as accurate as possible by using primary sources where available. When not, use secondary sources that help you understand the times, events, and locales for accurate re-creation.
10)  Avoid stereotyping. Don’t create a hagiography. Rather let the real person show through the biography.

Next week, I’ll share insights from Hamilton’s book as well as from my secret strategy—mentor texts.

I will learn how to write biographies. I love to read them, so I can learn to write them.

Was this interesting? Then please share with others via the copy/paste posts below.

Facebook: Do you want to write biographies? There is surprisingly little help available to learn how. Caroline Adams’ 10 tips on writing biography might help. http://bit.ly/2Bbw1M3

Twitter: #Writers, do you want to write #biographies? There is surprisingly little help available to learn how. @Caroline_Adams9 10 tips on writing biography might help. http://bit.ly/2Bbw1M3

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Novel Writing Month Options

When   considering the many paths I could follow--since I write in many genres—for National Novel Writing Month, I thought about pickin...