Thursday, October 5, 2017

Guest Post: Margaret Brazear


I am so pleased to have Margaret Brazear visiting today to share her inspiration and research for THE LOVES OF THE LIONHEART. Be sure to also check out her newest book, THE CAVALIER’S PACT about the restoration of Charles II to the throne. Please comment below to welcome her here.


As an author and historian, I am drawn to historical fiction, but I have a peeve about inaccuracies and always try to be sure my history is authentic. I have, in the past, shied away from fictionalising real historical characters, as none of us know what they were really like nor ever will. Even contemporary chronicles tend to be biased in favour of their own opinions.

For a long time I have been fascinated by Queen Berengaria, the wife of Richard I. I wanted to write a novel about her, and I entitled it ‘The Love of the Lionheart’. But as I began to research Berengaria and her relationship with Richard, I found that his former betrothed, Princess Alys, deserved more than a mention.

Princess Alys was the daughter of the King of France and was betrothed to Richard at the age of only 8. She was sent to England to be raised with his family, as was the custom, but the tangle of relationships during the period is quite fascinating in itself.

Whenever Alys is mentioned in fiction, she seems always to be portrayed as a scarlet woman type of character, but the more I read about her, and not much is written, the more I came to believe that she was badly used by both her own family and Richard’s.

When she should have married Richard, he chose instead to follow his real love, that of being a soldier. He was a military genius, given the nickname of The Lionheart during his lifetime for his bravery and skill. But he left Alys alone with his father, a known lecher, and he seduced her, giving Richard the ideal excuse to reject her.

Chronicles of the time state that he was in love with Berengaria, the daughter of King Sancho of Navarre, and it seems she was certainly in love with him. She mourned him for thirty years after his death and even gifted a lucrative vineyard to a monastery in return for prayers for Richard’s soul. This, at a time when she was still trying to get her rightful pension from King John and having to borrow money from her sister.

The couple were married in Cyprus, and Richard took time out of his journey to the Holy Land to host a three-day celebration for the marriage. He took her, along with his sister Joanna, to Palestine with him, but it seems his wife saw little of him while there and when the crusade ended in a truce, instead of accompanying him to England, she seems to have made her way, with Joanna, to Rome to visit the Pope. Why, we can only speculate.

What we do know is that Richard disguised himself as a pilgrim for his journey to England, probably fearing some danger from his enemies, and that his fears were justified. He was captured and held to ransom by the Emperor of Austria and was imprisoned for two years, before his wife and his mother raised the enormous ransom of 150,000 marks for his release.

Thereafter, he returned to England, again without his Queen, got himself crowned again, then returned to Europe to regain some of the territories his hapless brother, John, had lost during his absence.

His exploits and his debauchery reached the ears of Berengaria, but they also reached the ears of the Pope, who sent the Bishop of Lincoln to tell him to return to his marriage.

I hope my readers will enjoy my own interpretation of these princesses who lived more than 800 years ago, but should not be forgotten.




Please share this post so others can enjoy it, too. Thank you!
Facebook:  Margaret Brazear appears on Caroline Adams’ blog to talk about the inspiration for her book, THE LOVES OF THE LIONHEART. http://bit.ly/2yJXgN1

Twitter: #HistoricalFiction #writer @MargaretBrazear shares the inspiration for THE LOVES OF THE LIONHEART at http://bit.ly/2yJXgN1




 I was born in London, England in 1948, and have studied English history since I was able to read. My last employment before retiring was as a driving instructor, and I have some funny stories about that, but I love writing, so historical fiction is the way to go. I have had some success and gathered some regular readers.

I love animals of all shapes and sizes, but my special love is for dogs. I have had the privilege of owning dogs all my life, including three Newfoundlands, the gentle giant of the canine world.

Should anyone wish to read some of my books for free, all they need do is to visit http://www.historical-romance-readers.com where they can subscribe to my mailing list and receive links to download three of my most popular books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Novel Writing Month Options

When   considering the many paths I could follow--since I write in many genres—for National Novel Writing Month, I thought about pickin...