Thursday, October 19, 2017

Book Review: BEFORE ANNE AFTER


I’m a sucker for time travel books for a number of reasons. Traveling to the past to observe history is just such an incredible notion. Literally incredible. Not credible. But, boy, how I’d love to do it! The paradoxes and how authors deal with them (or not) make for entertaining reading all on their own.

Another reason I like time travel books is the science of it. I’m a science fan and love learning new things in the various fields. Additionally, and relatedly, I read a lot of science fiction. I especially like so-called “hard science fiction” with an emphasis on scientific accuracy. I like my historical fiction that way as well, as I’ve stated before on this blog. This book is a cross-over book; fans of both genres will enjoy it.

Before Anne After by James Paddock meets my criteria for historical fiction and science fiction. Anne is inadvertently transported nearly 45 years into the past in the same location. What in 1987 is a top-secret time travel research facility, in 1943 was a Navy barracks in South Carolina.

Anne, annoyed with her husband’s lateness and hot and sweaty on this July day, arrives at her husband’s work site and invades an area she not allowed in. Of course, right? That’s how these things often happen. Vastly pregnant, her arrival on the floor of the Naval barracks, surprises everyone, including Anne. She has no idea of her husband’s research (I found that piece the least credible part of the story, by the way), and cannot reconcile where she clearly is with what her rational mind can explain. She must be crazy or suffering from amnesia but with vivid, detailed memories of a life in a different place.

Anne is among the last to know she is a time traveler. The German spy knows. The woman she is living with knows. The man who has fallen in love with her knows. Again, I realize the author did this for the story he wanted to tell, but with her background and what we know of her father’s and husband’s research interests, I didn’t buy it.

Still, the machinations to get her back to 1987 and the plot point time travel twists held my attention to the very end. And an unexpected ending it is. Satisfying and wholly appropriate to the story.

While the book needed a better editor, it was engaging enough that I continued reading this very interesting and unique time travel tale. As to the science, the hobgoblins of time travel stories is paradoxes and the how of it all. Paddock confronted both and presented credible explanations. I love the pseudo-science explanations that make you think, well . . . maybe.

As to the history, the author does a great job of setting us down in war-time Charlestown, South Carolina. There is enough real history and people to make the historical fiction credible as well. The setting and the times, the fears and paranoia, the fashions and daily routines are presented well. The tie from 1943 to 1987, right before her disappearance, is a nice touch.

Did you enjoy this post? If so, consider sharing it with others. Thanks!

Facebook: Are you a fan of hard science fiction? A fan of historical fiction? I liked Before Anne After by James Paddock for having both genres and I think you would, too.
http://bit.ly/2gqTUed

Twitter: @JamesWRiter has a great cross-over time travel/hard scifi book: Before Anne After reviewed by @Caroline_Adams9 http://bit.ly/2gqTUed

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Novel Writing Month Options

When   considering the many paths I could follow--since I write in many genres—for National Novel Writing Month, I thought about pickin...